Issue nr. 255
Wednesday, June
14th 2023

From the Editor

Surprise news was released last Thursday regarding the Go Ahead take over of Pulham & Sons (Coaches) Ltd. They will continue to operate as a separate unit under the Oxford Group.

LBM Running Day on route 65 from Andrew Webb 

UK’s first electric autonomous bus hits the roads in Oxfordshire diar

Next Sunday will see Showbus flyby and a recreation of South Midlands Oxford-Uxbridge route with an RELH coach OAX9F.

New fleet additions for Ridleys.

Latest report from London by Andrew Webb.

An interesting piece from Allan James, the subject :  Oxford Tramways and the arrival of Motor Buses in Oxford 

Chemnitz, Germany, on 3rd June for the 7th meeting of The Friends' Circle of Ikarus Buses

Michael Penn from Cardiff and Barry Island

Jack Cooper shows what can be achieved in one day.

This issue is varied as some of my regular contributors have been on holiday. 

A new chapter for Pulham & Sons (Coaches) Ltd.

Pulham & Sons has been proud to serve the Cotswolds community for 143 years. We’re pleased to announce that our company is embarking on a new journey by becoming part of The Go-Ahead Group.

Our buses and coaches are familiar in towns and villages across Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Oxfordshire. To take the business to the next level, and to expand our network of services for passengers, the Pulham family has decided that the time is right for Pulham & Sons to become part of a larger organisation.

Go-Ahead intends to invest in our brand, our fleet, our people and our communities. Go-Ahead has an excellent track record of building and supporting local bus companies, and Pulhams will become part of Go-Ahead’s Oxford Bus Company division – with local management who know our part of the country.

We’re committed to the success of the company, and we are staying involved to build a solid foundation for growth under Go-Ahead. We look forward to the future under our company’s new ownership with optimism and enthusiasm.

You can read the full press release here

Pulham & Sons (Coaches) Ltd, are specialists in providing passenger transport solutions throughout the UK, continually reinvesting in the fleet and providing customers with a selection of styles and sizes to meet individual needs and budgets.

With a dedicated, loyal team of professional drivers and operations staff, we have an outstanding reputation with our clients for quality, reliability and excellent customer service.

Andrew Webb

The London Bus Museum organised a rerun of the very successful running day over routes 65 and 71 on 11 June, just over 2 years since the event which heralded the museum's programme of running days to get vehicles o the streets of the capital and raise awareness of the museum. 

Amongst numerous members of the RT and Routemaster families there were several vehicles making their debut on the route and probably their debut in London service.  

This East Lancs Leyland Titan PD2 served with King Alfred's in Winchester.  It is seen passing St Mary's Church in South Ealing bound for Kingston.

At first glance, looking like a Leyland National from London Transport's LS class.
This bus also originates from Hampshire, starting life with Provincial.
It is seen in the same spot with a short working bound for Ham.

This Marshall bodied Leyland Leopard is seen passing Haven Green in Ealing having started from the route 65's original terminal at Argyle Road. 

The current incarnation of the route starts at Haven Green, although is currently curtailed to Ealing Town Hall owing to roadworks on the layover stand. 

UK’s first electric autonomous bus hits the roads in Oxfordshire

The UK’s first electric, autonomous bus service yesterday took to public roads for the first time as First Bus launched the second phase of the Mi-Link service in Oxfordshire.

The 15-seat minibus, which will have a safety driver onboard, had since March been trialled around Milton Park science and technology community near Didcot.

The second trial will run every 40 minutes along the 2.3 miles between the Park and Didcot Station, offering a free service to the 9,000 employees of the 270 companies which operate from the science centre. It will also be open to the public.

It follows the launch last month of the UK’s first autonomous bus service on public roads, the CAVForth link across the Forth Road Bridge. As with CAVForth, Mi-Link uses Fusion Processing‘s CAVstar Automated Drive System.

Mi-Link is funded through the UK Department for Transport’s Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CCAV) as part of a partnership also involving Oxfordshire County CouncilUniversity of the West of England (UWE Bristol) and Zipabout.

Veronica Reynolds, Sustainability and Community Manager at Milton Park, says: “The Mi-Link project, which also includes a fleet of free electric hire bikes, is intended to reduce the amount of car trips that occur within Milton Park.

“This trial service is set to complement the 4,400 existing bus journeys that are taken weekly between the Park and Didcot Parkway train station. This is in addition to the Park’s rising levels of bus passengers, which have almost doubled since 2019, with single occupancy car usage falling by 12% since 2021.

“As an innovation community committed to increasing the accessibility of sustainable travel, we’re thrilled that Milton Park was selected as the host location for the Mi-Link project, and can’t wait to see the full results of these landmark trials later in the year.”

The service, which is fully accessible for wheelchair and pram users, will serve key locations along the route, including Bee House, the Innovation Centre and Milton Feast street food market area.

Philip Campbell, Commercial Director at MEPC Milton Park, adds: “Milton Park is well known as an innovation and technology cluster, and through the Mi-Link project and drone delivery trials last year, we are proud to be a test bed for emerging technologies in transport.

“Those visiting the Park will be able to take an electric train from London to Didcot, utilise pioneering electric autonomous bus travel, before seeing game-changing breakthroughs happening day-in-day-out from the Park’s occupiers.”

  Date for your diary 

Sunday, June 18th 2023
SHOWBUS flyby Entry List

Martin Isles

Less than a week to go to till the SHOWBUSflyby and we are delighted to announce that the Bristol KSW used by Paul McCartney’s Wings group for their 1972 Tour of Europe is fully restored and heading to Brunel University on Sunday June 18th where it was last on display at our first event fifty years ago in January 1973.

If you are planning to enter a bus or coach please send your entry in as soon as possible so we can timetable you into the event.  We can still cope with last minute entries though as in the past. Unfortunately this reminder is necessary as BUSES mag has failed to publish the promised advert in their latest issue.

A reminder that the SHOWBUSflyby can start from either end – RAF High Wycombe or Uxbridge anytime from 0930h.  Alternative joining points are High Wycombe Bus Station and Beaconsfield Services and either Brunel University for LEZ exempt vehicles or Oxford Road Bus Stop, just after the Cross Street/Cowley Road roundabout for those unable to enter the LEZ zone.  We also have static display opportunities at Brunel (for LEZ exempt vehicles) and in High Wycombe town centre where the Traders Village will be held.

From the Uxbridge end, the route is primarily along the A40 as far as High Wycombe Bus Station, then heads through the Hughenden Valley climbing the Chiltern Hills to RAF High Wycombe (Strike Command) at Naphill.

Our previous SHOWBUSflyby during the pandemic in 2020 was well received and much acclaimed so we hope you will enjoy this one too as we celebrate fifty years of SHOWBUS 

This coming Sunday, June 18th

This Road Run will see our Ruby (OAX 9F) recreate a significant part of the


Oxford - High Wycombe - Uxbridge - London express road service that the prototype RELH coach operated in the 1960's.

Milton Common, Three Pigeons 10:15
Tetsworth, Common 10:21
Aston Rowant, opp. Lambert Hotel 10:28
Stokenchurch, Old Kings Arms 10:37
High Wycombe, Bus Station (arrive) 10:55
High Wycombe, Bus Station (depart) 11:03
Beaconsfield, opp. Royal Saracens Head 11:25
Gerrards Cross, Windsor Road 11:40
UXBRIDGE, Brunel Campus 11:58
UXBRIDGE, Brunel Campus 12:50
Gerrards Cross, Windsor Road 13:09
Beaconsfield, opp. Royal Saracens Head 13:25
High Wycombe, Bus Station (arrive) 13:47
High Wycombe, Bus Station (depart) 13:55
Stokenchurch, Old Kings Arms 14:13
Aston Rowant, opp. Lambert Hotel 14:22
Tetsworth, Common 14:29
Milton Common, Three Pigeons 14:35

     Fleet News and developments     


Bob Chalmers

........ with news from Abingdon

Pleasing to see that four new bus shelters have been installed at the four new bus stops in Dunmore Road, Abingdon - which presumably means the X1 route is 'here to stay' - it was always promoted as a 'trial' last year. The two new stops are not actually showing in timetables yet - but assume they will be shortly. It would be interesting to hear from OBC about how well the X1 service is doing and any future plans they may have.

The 34 teatime service struggling on June 12th - one bus 41mins late - the other 89mins late!! Combination of general traffic, the A34 being closed northbound from Chilton to Milton and the thunderstorms no doubt. 

They actually ended up arriving in Oxford 58 & 119 mins late !!

Owing to Stert Street being closed for resurfacing - several route changes were put in place.

Pics of 673 on X1 turning right out of Bath Street into Stratton Way ( a council relaxation of regulations - although no one on site to officially make traffic aware) - 902 on an X3 via Stratton Way (turning round at Spring Road roundabouts and 313 on a terminating 35 service. All taken tonight - Tuesday 13th.



Sprinter 984 has now entered service leaving only 981 to arrive.

RX23TYF MB 517CDI W1V9076572P501007 EVM B16F 4/2023 Carousel 987
RX23TYG MB 517CDI W1V9076572P501008 EVM B16F 4/2023 Carousel 988
RX23TYH MB 517CDI W1V9076572P525073 EVM B16F 5/2023 Carousel 981
RX23TYK MB 517CDI W1V9076572P525074 EVM B16F 4/2023 Carousel 982
RX23TYO MB 517CDI W1V9076572P525075 EVM B16F 5/2023 Carousel 983
RX23TYP MB 517CDI W1V9076572P525076 EVM B16F 5/2023 Carousel 984
RX23TYS MB 517CDI W1V9076572P524387 EVM B16F 4/2023 Carousel 985
RX23TYU MB 517CDI W1V9076572P524384 EVM B16F 4/2023 Carousel 986

Luke Marion

The older ones will be coming back to Oxford to be used on the 11X service.


310 works the 5X seen at Park End Street on the 12th. 

Jack Cooper

253 is seen with an X40 service in Westgate on June 5th.

Currently working with Thames Travel, 847 is seen with a 23 working in  Henley on June 12th.

922 is seen in St Aldates with an X2 service on June 5th.


228 works the X2 seen at Park End Street also on the 12th. 

including Courtney, Newbury & District & Thames Valley

Neil Gow

Seeing the news about new buses and livery for the 702/703, here’s a picture I took on 5
th June of one of the old guard,
Enviro 400MMC 781 seen at Colnbrook in Greenline livery.

The latest E200 to take to the road with the company has arrived. It appears to normally work the 357.

Mark Rose

ADL Enviro 200 50562 - YX12AEP
Ex Tower Transit of London and Yellow Buses Bournemouth

Brent Ricketts

New 23 plate Irizar coaches on order four been delivered so far these being .  

Two Irizar i8s in ledger luxuria livery with 31 seats 

Two Irizar i6s in ledger livery with 49 seats 

Four Irizar i6s in Shearings livery with 53 seats and 

One Irizar i6s in Ridley’s new grey livery with 53 seats 

Also I’m driving on of the i8s on Friday night so will try and get a few pictures.  


15976 by Osney Island with  an S6 on June 8th. 


10686 works the S1 seen in Park End Street.

27554 with Driver Training duty in High Street on June 9th.

     London operations    

Andrew Webb

Final Fantasy XVI is an upcoming action role-playing game which will be launching for PS5 players on 22 June.  Go Ahead's LT67 is one of several buses to be wrapped in this advert promoting the launch. 

Both nearside and offside are seen passing Parliament on 10 June. 

Expo 2030 is a proposed world's fair to be held in 2030. The candidate cites competing to host the event are Busan, Rome, Odesa, and Riyadh.  Busan in South Korea has launched this campaign in London to gain support for their bid. 

London United's LT81 passes Victoria on 10 June.

OMC Global of Witney have taken delivery of this Isuzu Visigo, supplied by EVM.  Only launched in this country in 2022 the model is still relatively rare on the UK and is seen in Whitehall on 10 June. 

Power is provided by a Euro 6 Cummins engine, although this has not stopped it gaining a Mercedes badge at some point in its short life! 

Allan James, 13.6.2023 

City of Oxford and District Tramway Company

 Oxford Tramways and the arrival of Motor Buses in Oxford 

It was the Tramways Act 1870 that paved the way for the building of street tramways throughout the country.  So far as Oxford was concerned an approach was made in March 1878 from a Mr. Meyer asking for a concession to run tramways in Oxford. 

A provisional order was made by the Board of Trade in 1879 for three lines –

·       from the Stations to Cowley Road

·       from St. Aldates’ to Rackham’s Lane (St. Margaret’s Road) on the Banbury Road and

·       from St. Giles’ to Rackham’s Lane via the Woodstock Road.

The prospectus for the Oxford Tramways Company Limited was issued in January 1879 with a view to attracting capital of £42,000.  It extolled the virtues of Oxford, naming every building which might produce revenue.  It was expected that completion would be by the end of July 1880. 

The company ran into financial difficulties and went into liquidation in May 1881.

Meanwhile, in January of that year another company, The City of Oxford and District Tramways Company Limited was formed this time with a capital of £40,000.  It took over the provisional order of the old company. 

This new company lost no time in commencing the work and the first line – from the Stations to Cowley Road was opened on 1st December 1881.  The second line – the Banbury Road line followed on 28th January 1882.  The third line on the Woodstock Road was abandoned. 

At this point mention should be made of Magdalen Bridge.  It was proposed to widen the bridge by 20 feet and the company had agreed in April 1881 to take up and relay the tramway on the bridge when it was widened and to provide £2,000 towards the cost.  The provisional order provided for a double line over the bridge.  Both the council (then the Local Board) and the Company felt that a single line with a passing place in the centre of the bridge was sufficient.  The sticking point came over the surplus materials which the Board claimed and valued them at £400.  The Company wanted them for the Walton Street extension which was proposed.  There was a long and acrimonious exchange in which neither party would back down, so arbitration was proposed. That, too, broke down, so the matter went to court.  The result was that the court said there was no binding agreement for a single line and therefore a double line must be built in accordance with the provisional order. It was later agreed that the company were to purchase the surplus materials for £100.  The new double line over the bridge was opened for traffic in May 1885.

Meanwhile, in November 1882, the company applied for a provisional order for an extension along Beaumont Street, Walton Street and Kingston Road to a point near Leckford Road.  This was inspected and opened on 15th July 1884. 

In November 1885 an application was made for a further provisional order to extend the St. Aldates’ line to Hinksey (Lake Street) which was formally opened on 15th March 1887. 

Then came 10 years of consolidation. Traffic increased from around 1m to over 3m in the years 1896 and 1897. Omnibuses and brakes were introduced in 1894-6 on services to Summertown, Woodstock Road and Iffley Road. There was considerable activity in the City around this time. In 1896 St. Martin’s church at Carfax was demolished, leaving just the Tower. The new Town Hall was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1897 amidst great celebration. 


In 1895 came the first real signs of discontent with the tramways. In a letter to the newspapers a councillor wrote about powers under the Tramways Act for the council to purchase the tramways on very advantageous terms after 21 years from the provisional order.  This came as a bit of a bombshell to the company who offered to extend the Summertown line from St. Margaret’s Road to South Parade in exchange for an extension of their franchise until 1907.  The council agreed to the suggestion but added that a rental of £200 per annum should be paid by the company from 1898, along with 12½% of the profits over £3,000.  The tramway was extended to South Parade on 5th November 1898. 

The company recognised that electrification was approaching and wrote in 1902 proposing an extension of the tramways and electrification. Their proposal included (1) an extension from Kingston Road via Leckford Road, Woodstock Road to Squitchey Lane, Summertown (2) from South Parade to Hernes Road (3) from Cowley Road to the city boundary, Barracks Road (4) from Magdalen Bridge to the city boundary, Iffley Road (5) in Abingdon Road to Sunningwell Road and (6) from the Stations to Binsey Lane.  The council resolved that it was not prepared to entertain proposals for the extension of the Tramway Company’s tenure.

In 1903 the Council decided to purchase the tramways and instructed the Town Clerk to make provisional arrangements with the Company to do so.   

In 1904 the council received its first application for a motor-omnibus service from a Captain Shipley.  It took the council over 6 months to reply to the application and then rejecting it out of hand. But Captain Shipley did not do his cause any justice by presenting a bus for inspection which was not of the type he was proposing to use!

It was not until June 1905 that the Council resolved to enter into a provisional agreement to take over the tramways in December 1906.  That meant that 9 months’ profits would have to be paid to the shareholders until September 1907. 

Following on from that resolution, the Council asked two engineers if they could advise on the form of traction most suited to Oxford. Their reports were received in September.  They were completely different, one, Stephen Sellon, recommending electric tramways, and the other, Worby Beaumont, motor buses.


The Council then decided to promote a Bill in Parliament to give them the widest powers in relation to the tramways, without pledging whether they should work or not work the tramways themselves. Five new or extended routes were included

(1)   along Iffley Road to Iffley Turn

(2)   from St. Clement’s up Headington Hill to Windmill Lane

(3)   extension of the Banbury Road line to Hernes Road North

(4)   extension of the Kingston Road line to Polstead Road

(5)   extension of the Abingdon Road line to Weirs Lane 

Under the Borough Funds Act 1903 the Council had to hold a meeting of electors and obtain their consent to the promotion of a Bill.  This meeting was held in January 1906 in the Town Hall - which was full with several hundred people unable to get in.  When Alderman  Hall spoke in favour of motor buses he received rapturous applause, while those who spoke in favour of trams were heckled or shouted down. When the matter was put to a vote there were only about 80 or 90 in favour and between 1,500 and 2,000 against. 

The Council now faced a dilemma and held a special meeting the following week to consider their next steps.  The Tramways Committee recommended that the Council should ask for a poll, Alderman Hall said they should regard the result as final and not require a poll.  His proposal was adopted.  However, 127 names were assembled asking for a poll which, under the Act, had to be held if 100 or more electors require it.  The poll was held later that month and the result equally crushing with 5,092 against and only 1,117 in favour. 

The Council was now saddled with an obsolete tramway system. Their proposal for an electric tramway system had been roundly defeated.  So where do they go from here?

The Bill was withdrawn. Public opinion was that electric tramways were not the answer, or at least that was how some saw it.  The Council viewed it differently.  They considered the vote was on the question of expense to the ratepayers, not as trams versus motor buses. 

This prompted an approach from the Tramways Company to extend the present system and its conversion to electric traction, and two approaches to run motor buses.  There was also a letter from a Mr. Cownie of the National Electric Construction Co asking for details of the proposal to extend the existing tramway system. 

The Council recommended that a committee be appointed to consider the best mode of dealing with the Tramways Company’s undertaking and further report on the possibilities of introducing a motor bus service in the City.  Some councillors urged a further referendum of the ratepayers, this time on electric trams versus motor buses.  The Council, however, resolved to appoint a new committee to report on the financial gain to the ratepayers offered by an electric tramway system in regard to road maintenance, rates, rent, and provision for the tramway purchase money and as to the probability of obtaining an equivalent payment from a motor omnibus company. These terms of reference were so skewed against motor buses, that some councillors refused to serve on the committee.   

Following  Counsel’s opinion the committee came to the conclusion that a lease to a company for electrification could provide purchase money for the present undertaking, expenses already incurred on the defunct Bill, saving in cost of maintenance of the roads, a rent or royalty for the concession and additional rateable value to the City.  No such payments can be obtained by the adoption of motor omnibus traction. 

The Council agreed to invite tenders for the lease of the undertaking for the purpose of electric traction in May 1906.  Two tenders were received.  

(1)   from the National Electric Construction Company advocating the use of the “Dolter” surface contact system throughout including extensions to the existing system which went outside the City boundary

(2)   from the existing Tramways Company proposing a mixture of a surface contact system in the centre of the City and overhead wires outside. The Council asked Mr. Sellon’s opinion.  He said that the Oxford Company offered a sound business proposition which provided adequately for the needs of the City.  The National company’s scheme is not so advantageous as some of their proposed extensions are a waste of money, at any rate, for many years to come. 

In October, 1906 the Council ignored Mr. Sellon’s advice and accepted the tender of the National Electric Construction Co. to use the “Dolter” system.  A new Bill was promoted in Parliament. This was opposed by the existing Tramways Company, but to no avail.  The Council did get a clause inserted that the “Dolter” system must have been working satisfactorily anywhere in Great Britain for six months by 1st January 1908 otherwise a different system must be used.  The Act, which became law in August 1907, also provided that the Council’s rights to purchase the undertaking be postponed for 42 years from the passing of the Act.  This was to have a bearing on the development of motor buses in Oxford in later years.  

There were problems in getting guarantees and finance for the project and in paying off the old Tramways Company.  The Council insisted on a penalty clause of £100 per week if the works were not completed within 15 months of the agreement.  

In December 1907 a deputation went to Hastings to look at the “Dolter” system there. Although the cars were smooth enough, there were four men on patrol per mile to neutralise any live studs and the system required 25% more electricity than the average.  The Council resolved unanimously that it was not working satisfactorily. So, another dilemma – what now? 

It was September 1908 before the NEC Co. wrote to the Council suggesting a combined conduit and overhead system. Without any agreement with the Council, the NEC Co. promoted a Bill, which became law in August 1909, to give effect to this new suggestion.  The NEC Co. said that the penalty clause was putting off investors, so they included a reduction to £25 per week in the Bill along with 3 years for completion. 

All was quiet until October 1911 when Mr. Cownie said that finance was still not in place.  He suggested an overhead system throughout to save costs – and one which might be more attractive to investors. 

It was at this time that the Council began to take the licensing of motor buses into consideration. The Watch Committee, which was charged with the duty to consider applications, was adopting a rule that the number of vehicles should be limited to the requirements of the city.  It was for that reason that they were refusing every application thus far. 

1912 came with a new proposal from the NEC Co. that the Council should provide the capital as it could raise the money at far better rates than the company could.  This was summarily rejected by the Council.  Of course by now the 3 years for completion was running out. After August the Council considered enforcing the penalty for non-completion, but decided to defer it. 

And so things drifted into 1913. The NEC Co. now suggested a petrol-electric system, using petrol in the centre of the City and overhead wires outside, supplemented by motor buses on other routes.   

There was growing dissatisfaction with the horse trams.  This was exacerbated by a strike of tram drivers and conductors on Easter Monday, 24th March. The strikers were dismissed and replaced within two days and services soon returned to normal.  Although there were some angry scenes, the strike was eventually abandoned in May.

The petrol-electric proposal was eventually rejected by the Council in November, and the Council said that no further negotiations with the Company should take place.  That ought to have been an end to the matter, but no.  Behind the scenes the Tramways Committee were still in negotiations! 

Sensing the end game, Mr. Cownie wrote immediately afterwards offering to supply a service of motor buses within six months, offering to sell the track to the Council for £20,000, although he still believed that trams were the best solution and was looking at battery=powered cars. 

At the same time Mr. W.R. Morris wrote to the Council asking for a licence to sun six motor buses. When he received no reply to his application, he commenced a service on 5th December using a coupon system.  Coupons could be purchased from a number of shops on the route, and no money was accepted on the buses.  Upwards of 17,000 coupons were issued that weekend. 

On 30th December the Tramways Company (NEC Co) started its own bus operation, issuing tickets in the usual way, competing with Morris on the key routes. Morris later stopped using coupons and issued tickets in the same way. 

The Council decided that it must do something about the licensing of buses.  It had applications from four companies.  Eventually the General Purposes Committee decided that 12 licences should be granted to the Oxford Motor Omnibus Co (Morris) and 12 to the Tramways Company.  

Morris wanted a monopoly of licences, and when he did not get it, he withdrew from the contest and sold his business to the Tramways Company at the end of January 1914.

The Tramways Company then promoted another Bill in Parliament which came into force in August 1914 giving powers to operate trams or buses, or to abandon the tram system.  It gave them the exclusive right to run buses for 37 years (being the remainder of the 42 years provided in the Act of 1909). In return it handed the tracks over to the Council free of charge. 

Despite the onset of motor bus competition some trams lingered on and it was not until 8th August 1914 that the last tram was taken off the road. The euphoria of a full bus service was not to last long as 12 of the buses were commandeered for the war effort in October 1914. 

The City of Oxford and District Tramways Company, which had been set up by the NEC Co., continued to run buses until 1921 when its name was changed to the City of Oxford Motor Services Limited.

If any readers would like a long version of this paper(180 pages)with newspaper reports set out in full please contact  for an e-mail copy.

Gavin Francis

Barton 1019 at Brooklands, I did not realise it had been in preservation as RTL 326. A couple of pictures attached. 

Alan Whittaker

I was in Chemnitz, Germany, on 3rd June for the 7th meeting of The Friends' Circle of Ikarus Buses. There were over 40 buses on display and several of them were offering rides. Most were from the former DDR, although some came from as far afield as Poland and Hungary. The highlight of the day for me was a chance to have a ride in a legendary Ikarus 55, one of the first rear-engined buses anywhere in the world. The event was held in the city bus company's garage, and there was also a chance for a tour of the workshop.

The pictures show the variety on show. 

Michael Penn

Cardiff and Barry Island

Some photos for you from Cardiff and Barry Island this last weekend.  Apart from all the normal stuff there was a rail replacement operation going on between Cardiff and Bristol via Newport.  There were a number of coaches involved and some buses although I couldn’t identify the operators of some of them.  Perhaps some of your readers could help. 

There were two Enviro 400s – LJ 09 CEF and LJ 09 OLO originally owned by Travel London and later by Green Transport of Hockley in the West Midlands.  I think they are probably still owned by Green Bus?


CN 57 BJF was a Cardiff Scania now owned by Teulu of Trelaw who seem to be assembling a fleet of rail replacement buses in this livery.

YN 57 FZY was a Newport Scania.  The current operator is not known.

BX 56 XBY was a Volvo B7RLE originally owned by West Midlands Travel.  The current owner is not known.

Apart from the rail replacement buses Cardiff City Transport 399 (YR 59 FYV), an ex London United Scania N230UD newly converted to open top, was on its first day in normal service.

At Barry Island for the rally on Sunday were the following: 

B868 XYR was a 1985 Volvo B10M-61 rebodied with an East Lancs double deck bus body for London Transport tendered bus services in 1992.
The reduced rear overhang is noteworthy.

D705 GHY was an Alexander bodied Volvo B10M-50 new to Badgerline.

F41 YHB was an Alexander bodied Scania N113DRB new to Newport Transport.

AE 51 VFV was Dennis Dart SLF new to Cavalier (trading as Huntingdon & District) later passing to Stagecoach in the Fens. 
It then passed to Fleet Buzz which had been acquired by Stagecoach.

RG 51 FWZ was Marshall bodied Dennis Dart SLF new to Centrewest as 133 CLT.

CN 60 CVG is Red & White 27689 is in a special livery commemorating the coronation of King Charles III.

A nice day out from Michael Penn.

Jack Cooper

................... to show readers what can be achieved in one day from Oxford.

I enjoyed a trip around the South Coast on the 8th June, doing a nice circular route. 

Oxford Bus Company the Airline - Oxford to Gatwick (North Terminal) - 37

Metrobus 10 - Gatwick (North Terminal) to Crawley (Bus Station) - 6022

Metrobus 273 - Crawley (Bus Station) to Brighton (Old Steine) - 6983

Brighton & Hove 12X - Brighton (Station) to Eastbourne (Cornfield Road) - 833

Stagecoach South East 51 - Eastbourne (Gildredge Road) - Heathfield (Fire Station) - 19652
Stagecoach South East 251 - Heathfield (Fire Station) to Tunbridge Wells (Royal Victoria Place) - 19652
Services 51 and 251 interwork, so you can travel through from Eastbourne to Tunbridge Wells without making a change.

Metrobus 291 - Tunbridge Wells (Royal Victoria Place) to Crawley (Bus Station) - 6979

Metrobus 10 - Crawley (Bus Station) to Gatwick (North Terminal) - 6058

Oxford Bus Company the Airline - Gatwick (South Terminal) to Oxford - 40

I was lucky enough to photograph 19659 during my short time in Eastbourne,
this bus was originally new to Stagecoach Oxford, doing a search on Flickr it worked the S5. 


Nick Ross 

A photo from Liskeard in Cornwall of Ride Cornwall's 53251 on an early morning College service on June 7th 2023